Saturday, July 1, 2017

Wonder Woman/Captain America Similarities


Superhero movies have become quite the popular pop-culture trend in the last 9 years. Since the release of Iron Man in 2008, both Marvel and DC Comics have been building a Cinematic Universe that is still going strong. Well...one of them at least for now. It's taken DC some time to catch up to their competition, and is yet to be seen, in my opinion. With the start of the DCEU Man of Steel, didn't quite live up to it's potential, followed by a less than received Batman vs Superman, then followed by an even worse film, that of Suicide Squad.
Now I am not here to bash DC whatsoever. Both Marvel and DC have kept the fans intrigued with the fims and so many more are on the way. And both deserve to have great films. The fans want them, they are rooting for their team, but if Marvel has taught us anything, it's they know how to run a tight, smooth operation with their films. For DC, they still haven't quite found their nitch. However, with their latest contribution to the DCEU, it seems as if though they may have created something good with the female led Wonder Woman.



Wonder Woman for me, was just an O.K. backstory film, that gives the story of Diana Prince and how she becomes the hero, Wonder Woman. Though she is never actually called that in the movie, so it leaves you wondering...where did she get the name Wonder Woman? There were things in the film, that just reminded me alot of Captain America: The First Avenger. There was the guy named Steve...he fights alongside her. Towards the end of the movie, he manages to get aboard a giant aircraft, that is headed to destroy the world, he takes it and it is destroyed with him in it. Similiar to Captain America, except it's reversed. I will say it didn't carry the darker tone that DC is known for, but still had it's problem points. The film was mostly set in WWI. It is the Captain America of the DCEU. I had a problem with that statement, til I saw the movie and now I understand why. In some ways, I sat there thinking, "wow they ripped this whole story idea from Captain America..." I know it wasn't the same, but reminded me so much of the storyline and some elements used.



I think the reason it did so good at the box office, was because number one, DC fans were hoping for a homerun with this one...I think it may have gotten to at least 2nd base...but not a homerun. Second, there were alot of females that had been waiting for a female led superhero movie and the majority of movie-goers to this particular film, was females. We've had so many male led movies, this was the one they had been waiting for.



Rotten Tomatoes is a site I watch very closely, and many DC fans despise Rotten Tomatoes, however it held onto a high "FRESH" status and still does. I think if DC/Warner Brothers continued with their movies, and kept the same quality as Wonder Woman, they might have a fighting chance. It remains to be seen. And time will tell.

OK that's my take on it! See you at the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment